Friday, March 12, 2010

Josh Lamon Interview

Josh Lamon is currently in HAIR on Broadway.



Th3heights: How did you get involved in theatre?
Josh Lamon: My mom took me to see plays at San Diego Jr Theatre when I was about 4. I remember wanting to be on the stage singing and dancing so badly. So when I was in 1st grade I started doing community theatre and then in 5th Grade I got my first paying job. I was a News Boy in "Gypsy". Fun fact with that. Our Baby Louise was Aspen Miller (Of American Idiot), my Dainty June (Karyn Overstreet) and I ended up doing "Joseph And The Amazing..." years later in Philadelphia. And Heather Lee (of the Bernadette Peters revival of Gypsy" was our Gypsy Rose Lee. SMALL WORLD!




T3: What was the audition process for HAIR like?
JL: It was insane. I originally turned down the audition because I didnt feel I was the right type for the show. But after my agent hounded me I went in. I sang "River" by Joni Mitchell and really didnt expect to hear anything. Next thing I knew I was in callbacks every week. The final call back was insane. There were about 40 of us dancing and singing our faces off. I thought I blew it. I called my agent and said "I dont know if I really want to be in the business anymore". He called me back the next morning at 10am and said "I'm sorry you're feeling down, but they have offered you "Hair" and maybe you should stay in the business just a tad longer'. LOL.-What was it like to make your Broadway debut?It was unreal. I have been a working actor for 9 years. I have toured, done regional theatre, you name it, but I never thought I would be so lucky to actually perform in a Broadway show. The cast was so loving to me. I remember crying alot. -


T3:What is your favorite number or moment in HAIR and why?
JL: I have so many of them. I LOVE the song HAIR, and I love the end of the show. But my favorite moment is the dance party. I LOVE our audience being apart of our tribe.


T3: What is it like interacting with the audience at HAIR?
JL: I think it is different everyday. Some people do not want to be touched. I try to be very respectful and not get in people's faces.


T3: Are there any backstage rituals at HAIR?
JL: Lots of hugs and warming up.


T3: How excited are you to start performances with the new Tribe?
JL: I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! I love them. each and everyone of them are so amazing. I am so blessed to be apart of this new tribe.


T3: Do you have any favorite Stage Door memories?
JL: I can't say I have any favorite moments, but I love the stage door. I am a theatre nerd, I collect autographed playbills. I just love meeting the people who come to the show so I can say thank you.


T3: What is your favorite Broadway show and why?
JL: I have too many to name. I love anything Sondheim.


T3:Who is your favorite Broadway performer and why?
JL: I have too many of them. At the moment I am a tad obsessed with Gavin Creel. Duh.


T3: Who is your biggest inspiration and why?
JL: Two people come to mind. My biggest inspiration is my best friend Jorge Maldonado. He passed away 2 years ago. He taught me so much about life and also helped teach me how to love myself. I think about him every single day and dedicate every show I do to his memory. The next is my biological Mother. I am adopted and did seek out my biological family. I can't express how amazed I am that this teenage girl gave up everything so I could have a life that she could'nt provide. I am truly touched by that. Professionaly I am inspired by Gavin Creel, Will Swenson, Caissie Levy and Julia Murney. I loved working with them and they taught me that part of being "The Lead" is being a "Leader".


T3:Do you have a quote or motto you try and live by? If so what is it?
JL: "Follow Your Bliss".



Check out HAIR's website here
Follow Josh on Twitter here

2 comments:

  1. he was great in Tony n' Tina's Wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh you are just so awesome and so real! The Best!

    ReplyDelete