Monday, March 8, 2010

Interview with Bobby Cronin

Bobby Cronin is a composer who recently released "Reach The Sky: Live at the Beechman". His CD features some of todays brightest talent in theatre.


Th3heights: How did you get interested in writing?
Bobby Cronin: I have always written, ever since I can remember. I would turn newspaper articles into songs, write plays and perform them in my backyard with the neighborhood kids, etc. I always found writing to be the best way to express my inner feelings, like when one of my best friends died in high school, I composed two songs to let out the pain that I was hiding. I have always turned to writing for happiness, sadness, excitement, anger, and the such. And now that I get to do that as my profession, I couldn't be happier.

T3: Is there anything that gets you inspired to write?
BC:A few things do. As I mentioned before, if I am having a very powerful feeling that I want to express, I will turn to music. But, the nerd that I am, I love homework. So, I think of composing/writing as my homework in that I give myself projects and deadlines (in addition to those given to me by directors or producers) so that I am always remaining active with my craft, challenging myself to find new motifs, new chord structures, new melodies. I also love to write songs for specific people, like THE UNDERSTUDY which was written for Anne Brummel; she was the inspiration behind that piece.

T3:When you wrote your music did you write with a specific performers in mind to sing your music?
BC:Sometimes. I thought of Marty Thomas (Xanadu) for DAYBREAK. JUST CHOOSE RIGHT was for Brad Bass (Wicked, Memphis), and INVISIBLE was for Dee Roscioli (Elphaba in Wicked). Other songs are written and then I think of whom would be best for it.

T3:How long have you been writing?
BC:I had my first song presented in NYC in 2005, and a reading of BRATT CAMP in Chicago in late 2006.

T3:What was your concert at Beechman when you recorded your CD like?
BC:It was unreal! I couldn't believe that it was really happening. I am so grateful for the amount of trust The Beechman, engineer Joey Pier, and producer Erica Ruff put into me and my work. It is a feeling like no other. I still can't believe that I am on iTunes! And to work with people like Caissie Levy, Allison Case, Alex Brightman (well, the entire cast actually) is such an honor!

T3:How did you choose who you wanted to perform your music?
BC: Great question! I spend time researching performers on youtube, listening to their vocals and watching their acting. If they do something that really blows me away, I do my best to try to work with them. Sometimes performers contact me and say they want to sing my songs. For instance, Eric Michael Krop, whom I already knew and adored, really wanted to sing CRY on my CD. I wasn't sure about it and he made a recording of himself singing it and sent it to me. I WEPT like a baby listening to his interpretation of the song. And I immediately said yes!

T3:Are there any performers you really want to work with?
BC:Yes! Audra McDonald. Stephanie J. Block. Will Swenson. Clay Aiken. Josh Groban. Alice Ripley. Chad Kimball. And dream person...Celine Dion!!

T3:How has the response to your CD been?
BC:The response has been really strong! It is selling pretty well for my taste. I get some very beautiful emails from people saying how much it touched them or helped them get through a bad day or tough moment. But my favorite response has been from my Mom who listens to it everyday in the car! LOL!

T3: Who is your favorite composer and why?
BC: Wow. Tough one. I am going to say that my favorite team for theatre is Ahrens and Flaherty. I think they write the most beautiful ballads and the most exciting uptempos. I could listen to Once On This Island every day and still cry at the end.
As for non-theatre, the late Freddie Mercury from Queen. Queen's music is a big influence on my writing in terms of range, power, passion, drive, and it's somewhat epic nature.

T3:Who is your biggest inspiration and why?
BC:In life? My parents. They have taught me to believe in good and to ignore evil. They have instilled an amazing work ethic into all five of their children (I am the baby), taught us to have faith, to look on the bright side, and that everything happens for a reason. That to me is inspirational.

T3:What is your favorite song that you have written and why?
BC:Wow! Um...tough one. I think MOVE ON or CRY or REACH THE SKY. These are all songs that mean a lot to me personally and represent very different times in my life. When I see someone perform these songs with the passion I wrote with, it gives me the most incredible feeling you can imagine.

T3: Is there a quote or motto you try and
BC: Live by? If so what is it?
I have a few:
1) Do Unto Others As You Would Have Done Unto You
2) I sign every email with the following quote under my name: “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” - James Dean
3) If you want something...then go get it.
4) Be grateful.


T3:Is there anything else you want to add?
BC:I just want to say that I am so excited for whatever comes my way as a writer. I know that there will be (and have been) great ups and downs, but I love to do what I do. It keeps my brain active, my imagination flowing, and my heart pumping. I don't have any training as a pianist (self-taught) so everything I write is from my heart, even the silly comedic songs. I am grateful that people (like you) have been so supportive and kind, I hope that I can continue to touch people with my words and music.

Check out Bobby's website HERE
Follow Bobby on Twitter HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment