Monday, March 1, 2010

David Singletary Interview

I recently got the chance to interview a member of Broadway Speaks OUT and the Diva of Dish, David Singletary!

Th3heights: How did you get involved with Broadway Speaks OUT?
David Singletary: Well it was actually kind of by accident. I have always had people tell me "Your funny...you should have a show!" So I decided to take their advice. I wanted to do a youtube show that centered on hot topics/media gossip/ and political events from my perspective. I asked Marti if he was interested in being apart of it one day while on the subway. He told me that he and Anthony had been wanting to do a show like The View with gay men that I would be perfect for. So we combined the ideas... and voila! I was a BSO boy ;-)

T3: What do you like best about working with Broadway Speaks OUT?
DS: It may seem cliche' but truthfully the BEST part of the show really is the people who watch it! When I started doing this I knew that I wanted to put part of myself out there. To not just be funny but to show people someone who is honest, following their dreams in NYC, and someone who can be comfortable with themselves as a member of the LGBT community. I had NO idea if people would be interested in what we had to say, but you guys have welcomed us with open arms! That is such an incredible feeling. To hear your stories and be able to share in your experiences has been more than I could have hoped for!

T3: What is your favorite musical?
DS: I am asked this often and my answer is always that I don't HAVE a favorite musical. I love O many of them for so many different reasons. However, I will say the musical that I have seen the most times and has influenced me greatly would be RENT.

T3: Who is your all time favorite Broadway Performer?
DS: I can say without a doubt that my all time favorite Broadway performer is Audra McDonald. I had just finished with a pretty huge show in FL when I was very young. I told the director of that show I was going to NYC for the first time to see a Broadway show because that is what I wanted to do with my life! He basically told me that I would never make it because I was black and there were no parts for me. I was heartbroken. Ragtime was my very first Broadway show and Audra's INCREDIBLE performance that night changed my life. I had the chance to go backstage and meet her. She sat a very young David down for a long talk. She said that she had never let anyone or anything, including the color of her skin, get in the way of doing what she was meant to do! She will never know what those words meant to me but years later here I am in NYC! LOL

T3: Who is your Broadway Crush?
DS: I would definitely have to say Taye Diggs! That smile is enough to make me do domestic things for him...pick up his socks and cook him dinner LOLQ: Who is your Favorite Diva?A: I kinda already answered this above...Audra McDonald! However, I LOVE the divas..Patti, Liza, Bernadette...I could go on and on!

T3: What is your favorite guilty pleasure?
DS: My favorite guilty pleasure changes all the time but right now I would have to say its Rupaul's Drag Race! Its so trashy and ridiculous and I am LITERALLY obsessed!

T3: What is your favorite color?
DS: Not to be THAT gay man but my favorite color is Cerulean! LOL It was my favorite crayon as a child...I always made my mother make sure it was in the box before we bought crayons ;-)

T3: Who is your biggest influence?
DS: My biggest influence is definitely my mother. She is one of the strongest people I have ever met. She is the person who shaped me and gives me the strength and courage to always have a smile on my face.

T3: Is there a quote or motto you try and live by? If so what is it?
DS: I don't know that I LIVE by any quotes but this quote always makes me smile "Its not about waiting for the storm to pass....its about dancing in the rain!"

Check out Broadway Speaks OUT here

No comments:

Post a Comment