Monday, June 28, 2010

Hennepin Theatre Trust's 2010-2011 Season

I thought I would take a break from interviewing and blog about Hennepin Theatre Trust's 2010-2011 season. The 2010-2011 season is full of Broadway hits and beautiful revivals. The season includes Wicked, Rock Of Ages, Billy Elliot, Shrek, HAIR, Jersey Boys and, West Side Story.

WICKED(August 11, 2010-September 19, 2010): The witches of Oz return to Minneapolis in the Broadway hit Wicked. Wicked is the story of the witches of Oz before Dorothy ever showed up. You learn about the Elphaba, who is know in The Wizard of Oz as the Wicked Witch of The West and Glinda the Good. You find out that these witches had pasts good or bad and that made them who they are.
My Thoughts: I saw Wicked for the first time in March of 2008, during the shows Chicago run. I loved the music before the show I thought it was catchy, touching and just an experience to listen to. Seeing the show live blew me away, it was amazing. Watching Glinda float in by bubble the first time was great. The lighting of the show is beautiful, it really adds to the show. Yes Wicked can be classified as a spectacle but it is a universal story of two friends. Wicked is worth seeing.

For tickets and more info click HERE

Rock of Ages(October 19-24, 2010): It is the late 80's on the Sunset Strip, all you see is big hair and white wash jeans. Rock of Ages is a love story told through some of the greatest hits of the 80's.
My Thoughts: I haven't had the chance to see the show so I can only give my thoughts on the music. I've grown up listening to music from the era Rock of Ages is set in. My parents are big music junkies and they mainly listen to 70's and 80's. When I first purchased the cast recording of ROA it was nice listening to music that I have know for so long. The show did a great job keeping the original feel of the songs. There were a few minor lyric changes to fit the story line a little better. This show is a must see if you love the 80's and big hair!

For tickets and more info click HERE

Billy Elliot(December 16,2010-January 9,2011): Billy Elliot takes place in England during the 19884-1985 coal miner's strike. It follows the story of Billy, an 11 year-old who finds that his true passion in life is ballet, much to the dismay of his father. It is a musical with phenomenal dancing, and a great message about following your dreams. It won a 2009 Tony Award for Best Musical, and consistently plays to packed crowds.
My Thoughts: Billy Elliot is full of wonderful dancing. If you enjoy dancing this show is for you. The lighting is great. Be sure to check out Billy Elliot when it stops in Minneapolis.

For tickets and more info click HERE

Shrek TheMusical (February1-6,2011): Shrek is a musical based on the very popular Dreamworks movie, of the same name. The plot is mostly the same as the film, but there are 20+ musical numbers written just for the musical. It was nominated for a 2009 Tony Award for Best Musical. The touring cast will feature Haven Burton as Princess Fiona, who understudied the role on Broadway.
My Thoughts: I think the music of Shrek is very catchy. It is a very funny show. The show spoofs others Broadway shows. The costumes of the show make the characters you know from the movie come to life. It is a must see show for the whole family!

For tickets and more info click HERE

HAIR (March 1-6,2011): HAIR is the"American Tribal Love-Rock Musical". The original production opened in 1967. The revival opened in March,2009. It won the 2009 Tony Award for Best Revival of a Musical. HAIR is about a group of young American adults trying to find peace when the world around them is anything but peaceful. The choose to speak out peaceful and defend what they think is right.
My Thoughts: I love the music in this show. It is so wonderful. You have fun catchy songs and then you have songs that really state a message. The transition between those types of songs is great. I find the characters in the show so easy to like and you can find some part of them to relate to. This show is for an slightly older audience. I would say 13 and up. There is a scene that has nudity but it is not sexual. If you have teens take then to see the show. I am biased but I would have to say HAIR is the show I am looking forward to most this season. "Let the sun shine in"

For tickets and more info click HERE

Jersey Boys(April 21-May 8,2011): Jersey Boys is the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. It shows how four boys become one of the best pops group in history.
My Thoughts: The music of Jersey Boys is well know. The show has hits like 'Sherry' and 'Big Girls Don't Cry'. Though it is not my era I enjoyed the music of Jersey Boys. I can't wait to see it when it is in Minneapolis! Make sure to be careful on what age of children you bring to the show. There are some situations that are not appropriate for all ages.

For tickets and more info click HERE

West Side Story (July 12-17,2011): West Side Story is a love story. It has been called "The Greatest Love Story of All Time". It is the modern day Romeo and Juliet. The revival cast recording won the 2010 Grammy Award for Best Musical Show Album.
My Thoughts: West Side Story is a classic! I've watched the movie countless times. I couldn't be more excited when I heard there was going to be a revival. I got even more excited when I heard it would be going on tour. The show is filled with beautiful music. I love 'America' it is such a fun song. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the revival and the tour should be wonderful. Don't miss this American Theatre classic while it is in Minnesota.

For tickets and more info click HERE




Wicked Picture
Rock Of Ages Picture
Billy Elliot Picture
Shrek The Musical Picture
HAIR Picture
Jersey Boys Picture
West Side Story Picture

Special thanks to Jonathan Cort!

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    As an employee of Hennepin Theatre trust, I appreciate what you're doing on the blog here! Please feel free to reach out to us for any Broadway information you need. You can reach me at sam.anderson@hennepintheatretrust.org. If you have an email you can be reached at, send me an email so we can touch base. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete