Saturday, April 24, 2010

Interview with Max von Essen


Max von Essen can currently be seen as Sonny in Xanadu on tour. Max has also been in West Side Story, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Baker’s Wife, Les Miserables, and Dance of The Vampires just to name a few.

Th3heights: How did you get involved in theatre?
Max von Essen: It just was a natural progression. When I was a kid I was always drawn to the arts, and my first step was playing piano as boy. I got good enough to start accompanying singers in Middle School and playing for the choir. But as much as I loved it, I really wanted to be on stage, so that led to singing, which led to musical theater and plays. So by the time I hit high school, I was totally hooked!!

T3: What is it like touring with Xanadu?
MvE: Oh, it's amazing! I mean, it can be hard leaving NY and my apartment and my friends and family, but having such an amazing role in such a great show is a total honor. I am always thankful just to have a job in this business. Like I said, I don't always love being away from home, but I haven't toured in a long time, so this time around I've really enjoyed traveling the country again.

T3: Do you have any pre-show rituals?
MvE: Well, I guess they are rituals but I just call them warm ups. LOL. Like I'm not superstitious or anything. I usually get to the theater about 90 minutes before curtain and start my vocal warm up and physical warm up. Once I'm through with that, I head on stage with the cast 45 minutes before curtain and we have our skate call. That's just everyone on stage in skates warming up and practicing some of our moves. And then at 1/2 hour, I go back to my dressing room, throw on a little eyeliner, squeeze into my short shorts and then I'm ready. Showtime!!!

T3: What is your favorite show that you have done?
MvE: Hmmm...at this point, it's probably West Side Story. Tony is an incredible role and a thrill to sing and perform. Baker's Wife also ranks really high for me. Although I had a small role in that show, it was incredibly rewarding. In addition, I played opposite Alice Ripley and it was an experience I will never ever forget. She is an incredible force of nature on stage, and she brought out a passion in me as a performer I didn't even realize I had. So I will never forget it.

T3: What was it like to make your Broadway debut?
MvE: It was honestly everything I ever imagined as a kid. The show (Jesus Christ Superstar revival in 2000) wasn't exactly a hit, but it didn't matter to me. Being able to walk into rehearsal every morning, work our asses off, move into an incredible Broadway house and run for several months was a total thrill. I also understudied the role of Jesus, and had the chance to perform it many times. I mean, it was surreal. As teenager, I would see Broadway shows whenever I had the opportunity and I was in heaven sitting in the audiences. I'd wait at the stage door for autographs fantasizing about being one of those performers and now here I was, a few years later, one of those actors coming out of the stage door. It was amazing!

T3: What was your first professional acting job?
MvE: My very first one was during a summer break in college. I was at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill taking some summer classes and playing Jack in a local dinner theater production of Into the Woods. It was truly something else!!!! I used to nearly crack up every night, because I would always get to the lyric I sing to my cow just as I was selling her. I'd sing "I'll see you soon again...I hope that when I do...it won't be on a plate!" And inevitably, an audience member 2 or 3 feet from the edge of the stage would be sinking his knife into a big steak. It was tragic. LOL. But I had a blast doing the show!!!

T3: Do you have a dream role you want to play?
MvE: Oh yes, so many!!! But mostly I'd like to be part of something new and completely original. Until then, I'm looking forward to maturing into more adult roles, like many of Sondheim's leading men. Bobby in Company, George in Sunday in the Park...etc. He's one of the few who writes roles for thrilling and complex leading men.

T3: Who is your favorite performer and why?
MvE: Oh gosh, I don't even know where to begin. In the theatre, I love watching Brian D'Arcy James, John Lithgow, Sutton Foster, Alice Ripley, Gavin Creel, Christine Baranski, Harriet Harris and so many others, it's really too hard to choose. On the big screen, of course Meryl Streep continues to blow my mind for her versatility, and ever since seeing La Vie en Rose, I'm slightly obsessed with Marion Cotillard. I love Ewan McGregor, too!

T3: What is your favorite Broadway show and why?
MvE: I could sit through Gypsy at almost any theatre in the country and love it! I think it is so perfect and I'm lucky since there seems to be a revival every 5 years or so. LOL. Currently, I'm in love with American Idiot. It is so much more than just theatre; it is like poetry on stage! I love it!

T3: Who is your biggest inspiration and why?
MvE: My teachers have always been my greatest inspiration. Without having some of the most amazing and inspiring teachers in my childhood and even now in my adulthood, I simply would not in the arts or the performer I am today.

T3: Is there a quote or motto you live by?
MvE: "Find your bliss"

T3: Do you have any advice for aspiring performers?
MvE: Do the work!!! Having natural talent is great and a true gift, but no one can just coast through this business. It demands a tremendous amount of work and will require you to always challenge yourself and continue to strengthen your talent. Don't get lazy and DO THE WORK!!! It's all so much more rewarding when you do.

T3: Is there anything else you would like to add?
MvE: Yeah, go see a show! Anywhere! Broadway or at your local theatre! Keep the arts alive!


Follow Max on Twitter here

Check out Max's website here

No comments:

Post a Comment